Duxbury Pier Light
aka "Bug Light"

HISTORY

Bug Light, first lit on September15 1871, was the first cast iron caisson-style lighthouse in the United States. Located on the northerly side of the channel which leads to Plymouth, Kingston, and Duxbury harbors, it was installed to protect mariners from the dangerous shoal off Saquish Head. The light originally housed a 5th order Fresnel lens with a fixed white light 35 feet above high tide. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

1886-1890:  Over two hundred seventy-five tons of stones added around the base for protection

1897:  Catwalk and roof added

1900: 700-gallon water cistern installed

1902:  1,000 lb. fog bell installed

1927:  Charles Lindbergh, lost in fog off the New England coast, spotted Duxbury Pier and righted the course of his famous transatlantic flight to France.

1964:  Lighthouse automated; red plastic optic replaced the Fresnel lens

2018:  The U.S. General Services Administration awarded ownership of the lighthouse to PG&BL.

Present Characteristic:  Two red flashes every 5 seconds

Foghorn:  One blast every 15 seconds

Bug Light Today